I've been interested in DIYing a backyard root cellar for some time now.
1. Root cellars use the earth as natural, free insulation. This means lower energy costs for me and the environment at once. For instance, in the winter, my root cellar would prevent my food stores from freezing; in summer, the root cellar would keep my garden-fresh foods cool and prevent spoiling.
2. Root cellars equal instant storage. I have big dreams for tiny living, which means space-saving storage is always on my mind. I love the idea of having a mini fridge inside for basics and a big backyard root cellar for excess. I could pick fresh foods from the garden and store them away so easily!
3. DIYing leads to self-sufficiency. Plain and simple.
4. They've been used for adequate food storage (and protection from critters) for thousands of years!
5. With food prices rising and production rapidly changing, it just makes sense to secure one's own food. This is one way to do it.